Trade Me is one of New Zealand’s most popular websites with over four million members and more than 650,000 Kiwis visiting our site every day.
We’re looking for a people leader to join our Common Applications and Technologies (CAT) unit, a team of approximately 45 people tasked with fueling and unifying Trade Me by crafting the foundations of our business, using technology.
You’ll have the best time working at Trade Me, and this is why:
Flexibility means different things to different people and we support you to find what works, including a home office set up and utilities allowance.
Being your best self means caring for your physical and mental wellbeing, we offer lots of resources to help you along the way.
We support you with leave when you need it, including 5 days wellness leave and 10 days sick leave from day 1.
Nothing beats getting together to have some fun and celebrate our success. Join us in the office on payday for company paid lunches. Friday drinks and nibbles every fortnight, annual Trade Me company awards, celebrations and more.
Whether it’s on the job, formal training, mentoring or something else, you’ll grow with us from Day 1.
In this role you’ll be a people and culture leader, supporting your staff and their teams to achieve and extend their full potential. You’ll have line management of up to 15 people across 3 teams.
You will be an integral part of our management team – alongside technical and delivery leaders. You play a key role in building a high-performing organisation by building alignment between individual goals and our company vision and mission, and provide your team members with tailored coaching and mentoring opportunities.
As this role is more focused on people leadership, you will be supported by highly technical leaders, however, understanding the technology environment will be beneficial in unlocking the full potential of your people.
Here’s what you can expect from the role:
* Line management of a team of engineers, taking responsibility for recruitment, onboarding, objectives and reviews, remuneration, time tracking, promotions and performance management
* You’ll form strong, trusted relationships with your peers in delivery, product and technology to get great outcomes from your team in Trade Me
* Be a champion of our values. Create and foster a diverse and inclusive environment
Here’s what you will bring to the role:
* Rich experience line managing technical people, ideally within a software development environment
* Care and kindness, expertly balanced with the ability to challenge and set clear expectations, to enable our people to be their best.
* Ability to liaise with technical leaders in your team and formulate a progression or improvement plan for your people,
* Expertise in shaping workplace culture, mentoring, coaching, conflict resolution, bringing people together and facilitating great conversations.
* Great relationship management, understanding what’s important to key stakeholders and setting objectives that stretch and motivate the team to deliver to these and our strategic priorities.
* Excellence in recruiting software engineers who will positively add to our culture.
* Experience working in an agile environment and ideally a background in engineering, or at least a very strong understanding of working in a technical environment.
* Experience in technical leadership or background in working in engineering teams is a bonus
At Trade Me, we’re about connecting Kiwis to create the life they want. Whether it’s the big things like finding a home, a job, a car or growing their business, or the smaller things, like finding that right bedside table or parting ways with some old stuff. At Trade Me our vision is to be the place where Kiwi’s look first.
We know some candidates can be reluctant to apply for roles if they feel they don’t ‘tick all the boxes’. If you’re excited about this opportunity, we’d still really like to hear from you.
Trade Me is an INZ accredited employer. We truly value diversity and embrace a flexible workplace where people are encouraged to achieve their potential