Trade Me is one of New Zealand’s most popular websites with over four million members and more than 650,000 Kiwis visiting our site every day.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to join our Classifieds (Jobs, Property and Motors) team. A critical role for our company, you’ll be responsible for the operational health of our systems, ensuring best practice in software engineering and technical mentoring for engineering leaders.
You’ll have the best time working at Trade Me, and this is why:
With dedicated 10% Learning and Development time we help to ensure you are growing with us from Day 1.
Flexibility means different things to different people and we support you to find what works, including a home office set up and utilities allowance.
Being your best self means caring for your physical and mental wellbeing, we offer lots of resources to help you along the way.
Nothing beats getting together to have some fun and celebrate our success. Join us in the office on payday for company paid lunches. Regular Friday drinks and nibbles, annual Trade Me company awards, celebrations and more.
Here’s a bit about what you can expect from this role:
* Responsible for the engineering team use of appropriate engineering practices, investing in continual improvements to tooling or technical debt, and that the system evolves to meet changing needs and environment.
* Responsible for a team of Lead Engineers and work alongside product and delivery managers to establish governance for particular programs of work.
* Work closely with Principal and Lead software engineers to articulate architectural solutions for short to long term initiatives
* Responsible for the operational health and incident management of the Classified systems/technical assets.
* Work with people leaders to formulate upskilling, recruitment, and retention plans to serve your team’s current and future skills needs.
* Mentor and empower your team so that they will be working on the right things, will know how they contribute and will be highly engaged.
* Be a key player in the Classifieds engineering leadership team, constructively challenging thinking and recommending new ways forward.
What you will bring to our team:
* People leadership experience (5+ years) of medium to large technical teams
* Excellent leadership qualities including a drive for results, open communication, coaching, strong decision making, and the ability to build strong alignment with our vision and strategy across your team.
* You’re an experienced practitioner (10+ years) in engineering practices; with strong technical skills and a deep understanding of architecture and engineering practices.
* Strategic thinking, with an ability to feed into Trade Me’s overall strategy, build a clear technical vision, the plan to get there and inspire a diverse team to achieve this.
* A great communicator, team player and influencer across the business, with the ability to gain the respect and trust of people of all different skill-sets and levels of seniority.
We know some candidates can be reluctant to apply for roles if they feel they don’t ‘tick all the boxes’. If you’re excited about this opportunity and are hungry to learn and grow, we’d still really like to hear from you.
Trade Me is an INZ accredited employer. We truly value diversity and embrace a flexible workplace where people are encouraged to achieve their potential.