Senior Data Scientist
Trade Me is one of New Zealand’s most popular websites with over four million members and more than 650,000 Kiwis visiting our site every day.
We are looking for a Senior Data Scientist who will be a driving force for data science in Trade Me, playing a key role in helping to make our large datasets a competitive advantage. You’ll work with our business verticals to help identify and implement data powered solutions for our customers, develop shared models and a deeper understanding of our data set.
This comprises three broad areas of work:
Product development – helping product managers decipher what products to build
Data science delivery – prototyping, building, designing and maintaining software solutions/services that use data science. There is a strong emphasis on experimentation right across the delivery lifecycle
Data capture – help us to decide what we need to capture, highlighting gaps, and building insights
You’ll have the best time working at Trade Me, and this is why:
Flexibility means different things to different people and we support you to find what works, including a home office set up and utilities allowance.
Being your best self means caring for your physical and mental wellbeing, we offer lots of resources to help you along the way.
We support you with leave when you need it, including 5 days of wellness leave each year and 10 days of sick leave from day 1.
Nothing beats getting together to have some fun and celebrate our success. Join us in the office on payday for company paid lunches. Friday drinks and nibbles every fortnight, annual Trade Me company awards, celebrations and more.
Whether it’s on the job, formal training, mentoring or something else, you’ll grow with us from Day 1.
Here’s what you can expect from this role:
* Provide strategic advice to the Head of Data Science and other stakeholders on how data science can best enhance customer value.
* You’ll work with a small team of Data Scientists and MLOps Engineers to deliver end-to-end machine learning products that make our customers’ lives better. This will involve data collection, analysis, model experimentation, and deployment.
* You’ll demonstrate leadership in your field within your squad and the wider Trade Me, and will support and coach others within the Data Science team
* You’ll work with senior leaders, squads and product teams to ensure that data informs the way we create and enhance our product offerings.
What you will bring to our team:
* Proven Experience (5+ years) in data science or equivalent/relevant fields
* A degree in applied maths, economics, statistics, engineering, physics, computer science or any other quantitative field, or equivalent experience.
* A compulsive curiosity and a desire to understand how we can utilize data to improve our core value proposition.
* Experience as a leader of or mentor within, a team and the ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders at all levels, both internally and externally.
* Understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms.
* Experience with languages and common libraries used for data science and machine learning (e.g. Python, R) and data visualization tools (e.g. Power BI)
* Experience applying and deploying machine learning techniques and algorithms in production environments.
* Proficiency in using query languages such as SQL.
* Experience applying statistical methods, such as distributions, hypothesis testing, regression etc.
We know some candidates can be reluctant to apply for roles if they feel they don’t ‘tick all the boxes’. If you’re excited about this opportunity, we’d still really like to hear from you.
At Trade Me, we’re about connecting Kiwis to create the life they want. Whether it’s the big things like finding a home, a job, a car or growing their business, or the smaller things, like finding that right bedside table or parting ways with some old stuff. At Trade Me our vision is to be the place where Kiwi’s look first.
Trade Me is an INZ accredited employer. We truly value diversity and embrace a flexible workplace where people are encouraged to achieve their potential.